History Of Charles Russell And Key Facts
Charles Russell and Co. was founded in 1891 by Charles, son of Lord Russell of Killowen (MP and later Attorney-General under Prime Minister Gladstone and Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales).
In the 1920s, Charles was joined in partnership by his nephew Gerald Russell (grandfather to Patrick Russell, our recently retired Senior Partner) and since then the firm has grown organically and by acquisition.
More recent history
1996 - Arrival of Media team from Compton Carr
1997 - Arrival of Private Client team from Norton Rose
1998 - Merger with Baldocks in Guildford
2004 - Arrival of Private Client team from Stephenson Harwood
2005 - Charles Russell became a Limited Liability Partnership
2006 - Geneva office opened
2007 - Bahrain office opened
2009 - Move of London head office to 5 Fleet Place
2010 - Move of Geneva office to 9-11 rue du Prince
2011 - Andy Staite appointed Chief Operating Officer
2013 - Christopher Page appointed Senior Partner and Chairman of the Board
2013 - Qatar office opened
Senior Partner and Chairman of the Board: Christopher Page
Chief Operating Officer: Andy Staite
Turnover for 2013/14 financial year: £73.5m
Total staff: 666 (as of May 2014)
Partners: 93 (as of May 2014)
Other legal professionals: 336 (as of May 2014)
Trainees: 37 (as of May 2014)
The firm was ranked in 40 work type and geographical categories in the 2013 edition of Chambers UK directory.
18 Charles Russell partners were listed as 'Leading Lawyers', and 93 lawyers were listed as 'Recommended‘ in the 2013 edition of Legal 500.
76 partners and solicitors were listed as 'Leaders in their Field‘ in 92 categories in the 2014 edition of Chambers UK.